.

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Rates of reaction - molarity Essay Example for Free

Rates of chemical substance reaction molarity EssayChemis crusade Coursework Rates of chemical reaction molarity (Concentration) Aim to find protrude if the concentration of HCl affects the amount of hydrogen bluster given despatch when a atomic number 12 strip is added. Apparatus Gas syringe to give birth all the screw up from the reaction and measure it Test tube to hold the two reactants Measuring cylinder to measure amount of piss and pungent Stop watch to prison term the reaction Delivery tube to deliver the hydrogen into the grease-gun syringe Ruler + Scissors to measure and have sex the magnesium Reactants Magnesium strip Hydrochloric acid 2HCl + Mg H2 + MgCl2 Preliminary WorkFrom preliminary work I have found come on that using 20 cm3 of acid and using 2 cm of magnesium for 1 minute gives off sufficient gas to measure accu computely and I also found that for the molarity I should not go scorn than 0. 6 as on that point of gas given off will be too slow. This is how I did the try out I set up the experiment as shown above Added 2 cm of magnesium strip to 20 cm3 of HCl I then wrote down the volume of the gas every(prenominal) 5 secs for 1 minute of the reaction Use concentrations M to see which would be suitable. Scientific KnowledgeA chemical reaction needs reactant particles to collide successfully for it to take place. For the chance of a successful collision to take place more frequent collisions need to occur. These four factors affect the frequency of collisions therefore affecting the rate of reaction Concentration there are more acid particles in the same volume so they are more potential to collide with the magnesium particles. Temperature when the temperature is join ond the particles gain kinetic energy, which means the particles exalt more which in turn means they are more likely to collide successfully.Surface force field a larger bob up are means more particles are exposed. Therefore as larger number of collisions occur Catalyst the catalyst lowers the amount of energy needed for a collision without taking part therefore more successful collisions will take place. However I am wholly testing concentration so from this knowledge I know that the higher the concentration the more likely that the particles will collide. Prediction I believe that as the molarity lights so will the speed at which the gas collects. I point this beca intake of my preliminary work and scientific knowledge.This knowledge is that as the concentration increases there are more particles in the same volume so then there will be more successful collision. This means the volume of gas collected in the first minute should decrease as the concentration decreases. Set up the experiment as shown above Add 2 cm of magnesium strip to 20 cm3 of HCl Write down the volume of the gas every 5 secs for 1 minute Use concentrations M To prevail the different concentrations I added water to 1M hydrochloric acid Molarity weewee/Acid cm3 1 Fair test/ReliabilityBy controlling all the other variables (temperature, surface area and using a catalyst) I am leaving altogether whizz thus make my go outs accurate and reliable and easier to test. I am also using the same amount of acid (variable) and magnesium each time making it a fair test. I have also repeated my experiment so that I feces average out my results making it fair, as extremities will be averaged out. To make it a reliable and fair test I have made sure that the gas syringe is always at 0 at the beginning of each experiment and I will crop up the clock as soon as the Magnesium meets the HCl and always make sure that the Mg is cut to exactly to 2 cm.Safety Always wear goggles so that no acid screw go in your eye Wash acid after using acid so that acid does not transfer onto things that you touch and worse in your mouth (from the food that you eat). Results Test 1 Molarity (M) Water/Acid cm3 T 5s I 10s M 15s E 20s 25s I 30s N 35s 40s S 45s E 50s C 55s S 6Test 2 Molarity (M) Water/Acid cm3 T 5s I 10s M 15s E 20s 25s IVolume of H2 collected Rate of Reaction The rate of a reaction is how quickly the reactants turn into products.To work out the rate of reaction I have decided to find the time that each reaction took to expire 8 ml of H2 and converting it into a rate. The formula for Rate of Reaction is 1/time (secs) Molarity (M) numeration Rate (3dp) The rate of reaction tell you how fast each reaction takes to get to point as you can see from my rate of reaction graph as the molarity increases the reaction is quicker apart from 0. 8 (sources of error in evaluation). This graph is useful, as initially I has thought 0. 7 moles was the untimely result but this graph proved otherwise.Also from this graph I can find out what the rate should have been for 0. 9 ideally which is 0. 036 so the time it would have taken for this experiment to go 8 ml of H2 is 1/rate = 1/0. 036 = 28. 7 seconds. I can also predict other resu lts Conclusion As my graphs and results show the volume of gas produced in the first minute increases with the increase in molarity apart from 0.8 moles, this anomaly occurred both times which is unusual but apart from that result I know that Molarity is proportional to volume of gas collected per minute.E. g. it takes longer for 8 ml of gas to be collected as the concentration reduces, which proves my prediction right. This is because there are more particles in the same volume if the concentration is increased. Here is a diagram Less moles More moles Evaluation I believe the plan was good and enabled me to get the results that I needed.My experiment went very well apart from my one anomaly (0.8 Moles) this is unusual as it happened both time as but these are some reasons why this happened Sources of Error Gas syringe was only to the nearest ml Magnesium it used up the HCl most it and turned it into MgCl but did not react with the acid at the bottom making the reaction slow Heat as the Mg reacts with HCl heat is given off speeding up the reaction mankind Error reading the gas wrong, starting or stopping the clock at the wrong time etc.Solving these Errors Gas syringe use a position sensor on the gas syringe, which is attached to a computer. This will record the results with no anomalies.Magnesium shake the test tube every so often Heat cant solve this, the reaction is exothermic Human Error use a position sensor on the gas syringe, which is attached to a computer. This will record the results with no human anomalies. Extension To extend the investigation I would do the experiment again put try and put right all the sources of error and see if my results come out perfect. Show preview only The above preview is unformatted text This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Patterns of Behaviour section.

No comments:

Post a Comment